Before you can start receiving invitations to projects, you need to complete your profile. Once you do that, we recommend you subscribe to receive a notification email when new jobs relevant to your profile are posted on Smartcat’s job board.
To edit your profile, click My Profile in the sidebar. First of all, add new services by selecting the language pairs you work with and the types of services you offer, such as translation, editing, proofreading, project management, desktop publishing, etc.
To enjoy more job opportunities, we strongly recommend taking every single step to complete your profile:
- Set your per-word rates. If unsure, browse the profiles of other freelancers with the same language pair, specialization and experience as yours to determine your rates.
- Choose the subjects you specialize in.
- Fill in your personal details, including the About Me section. Make your message clear and concise — yet don’t hesitate to add some personality to your bio.
- Your portfolio offers you an opportunity to impress potential customers with real-life examples of your previous work, training certificates, diplomas, and degrees. It is not recommended to add resumes to this section, as there is a separate section, Work Experience, for that type of information.
- Be sure to describe your education in detail in your profile.
- Add your phone number under Contacts to receive text messages whenever you receive an invitation to a project or, if you are subscribed, new jobs relevant to you are posted in Smartcat. Make sure you respond to invitations within 15–20 minutes, even if you are not interested in the job offered. Also, by providing your phone number you will make it easier for the Smartcat support team to contact you in case of emergency, for example if the deadlines change or if payment issues occur.
The following aspects are crucial to your search ranking:
- The number of words you have translated in Smartcat.
- The number of tests you have completed in Smartcat.
- The number of ratings given to you by your Smartcat customers.
Please remember that there are certain rules of using the platform:
- Documents to be translated shall be uploaded and translated in the Smartcat CAT editor.
- The cost of translation is automatically calculated by Smartcat, you don’t need to calculate anything additionally.
- The project is paid for in Smartcat. You can choose to receive the money using the method convenient for you including credit or debit card, bank account, PayPal account, etc.
- If the client has not indicated clearly that they need the machine translation post-editing (PEMT), do not use machine translation. In any case, using the machine translation without proper post-editing can be the reason for the serious complaint report by the client.
- Clients are prompted to leave a review after you’ve completed the job. If you haven’t received a review, do not hesitate to remind the client that you would appreciate their feedback, as having many positive reviews is a great way to attract more potential customers.
When a new client invites you to their project, they may not be aware of these rules. We kindly ask you to give them a piece of advice if you can via chat messages.
If you currently aren’t available for translation projects, please turn off the “Show me in search results” setting.
If you haven’t received any invitations to projects, and don’t have any experience working in Smartcat yet, we suggest you take time to explore the CAT editor’s features, so you can be prepared for when an exciting opportunity comes along. Once you are invited to a project, you will receive an email notification and an SMS, so make sure you check your inbox regularly.