Here you can find the answers to some of the questions that we are often asked.
How do I know my payment data is safe?
Our customers’ cardholder data is is stored in a highly secure environment and handled by our payment partner. Its services are certified to PCI DSS Level 1, which is is the highest level of certification within the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard.
Can I ask a customer to make an advance payment?
In Smartcat, only the completed and reviewed work can be paid.
Will I get paid for a test assignment I have completed?
Test translations are not paid in Smartcat. Should you be invited to complete a test, you will receive an email notification containing details of the assignment. Such assignments are marked as Test Tasks in your workspace. Please report any cases when a customer asks you to perform tasks in Smartcat for free.
Can a customer charge me a penalty fee?
According to Smartcat’s rules, freelancers may be subject to penalty fees in some cases, including the following:
- If you have completed less than 30% of assigned work and have notified the customer that you will not continue, the customer may decide not to pay for the work.
- If you have completed more than 30% of assigned work and have notified the customer that you will not continue in good time before the deadline expires, you will receive full payment for the amount of work you have completed.
- If you are unable to continue and the deadline is almost up, the customer may decide not to pay for the work.
- If you used machine translation without doing sufficient post-editing of the output, the customer may decide not to pay for the work.
Some customers may establish penalty fees for violation of their specific quality policies. Make sure you check the customer’s profile before you start working. If the customer threatens to charge you a penalty fee without having any relevant information indicated in their profile, please report such issues to our support team.
How can I withdraw the money to my credit/debit card?
You will automatically receive payment within 3 business days after it is made by the customer. In case of a delay, please get in touch with us. You can check the status of any payment under the Projects History tab on the My Payouts page.
Would that be okay if the customer pays me in cash, bypassing Smartcat?
No, that would be against Smartcat’s rules.
I received an email stating that the payment has been transferred to me, and the status of the payment has changed to Paid. However I have not received any money. What should I do?
Transferring payments to Mastercard can take from 1 to 3 business days. For other available methods, payments are usually transferred within 24 hours. Please check whether you have selected an alternative payment method on the My Payouts page. It can be used instead, if the primary method has failed.
If that’s not the case, please contact our support team with the customer’s name, the name of the project and the document you have been working on and the date you received the email notification.
The payment status is shown as Pending even though the processing time has passed. When will I get the money?
We’re really sorry you’re experiencing these issues. Please do the following:
- Check your spam folder. Unfortunately,our emails are sometimes filtered as spam. We may have tried to notify you about the problem or requested your payment details.
- Make sure you have provided all the necessary details on the My Payouts page.
- PayPal and some other payment services have limitations on the amount you can receive. Check your transaction history to make sure that was not the issue.
If none of these suggestions help, please contact our support team with the customer’s name, the name of the project and the document you have been working on and the date you received the email notification.
The customer failed to meet payment deadlines. What should I do?
You can contact the customer using the built-in chat and suggest they proceed with the payment. If the customer does not reply, please contact our support team with the customer’s name and the name of the project and document you have been working on.
Can I keep the money on my Smartcat account and withdraw it only after a certain amount is reached? If so, how can I request the withdrawal?
If you have previously selected a method for receiving your payments, payouts will be made automatically using that method. If you want to keep the money on your Smartcat account, please contact our support team. Please specify your preferred method for receiving payments and the threshold that will trigger payouts.
I received the money but my Smartcat balance hasn’t changed. Why?
You balance can take up to 24 hours to update.