WPML is a WordPress plugin that makes WordPress sites run multilingual. It is the most popular and reliable plugin of its kind on the market with over 1,255,000 users to date. Using WPML requires no technical or programming skills. Site owners can install it and turn their site multilingual without any coding.
To start using the integration:
There is no need to install a Smartcat plugin as with the other connectors as it's built-in the WPML applicaction.
You now need to link the WPML account to your Smartcat account. If you don't have one, please go to smartcat.ai to create a new account. Next, go to Settings>API from the left-hand menu to generate an API key.
Click on Create New Key which opens the following dialog:
Choose a unique name, preferably something that will identify the WPML account since you can have more than one account linked to your Smartcat account, copy the key using the button on the right of the key and click on confirm. You cannot view and copy that key later on so make sure to use it right away in WordPress or paste it in a document that you can refer to later. Your account ID can be found on the Settings>API page as well. You will also need your server URL and it will vary depending on your server location:
USA - https://us.smartcat.ai/api/integration/
Europe - https://smartcat.ai/api/integration/
Asia - https://ea.smartcat.ai/api/integration/
If you are not sure where your server is located, contact our support team.
In WPML Translation Management settings, go to Translation Services and authenticate connection to your Smartcat account:
With the WMPL connector, there is no option to create profiles.
- Go to WPML Translation Management > Translation Dashboard.
- Pick the content you want to translate. Content is separated by type - Page, Post Block and All types. You can switch between them using the drop-down box in the filter section.
- Choose the languages that you need by choosing Translate next to the language name or Do nothing if you don't need the language.
- Click Add selected content to translation basket.
- Once the Translation Basket tab appears (it will start flashing), select it. There you can review the content you want to translate and delete items you might have added by mistake. Then pick a name for the Smartcat project to be created (or use the default one), choose a deadline and make sure that Smartcat is the selected Translator for all language pairs. Then click on Send all items for translation.
A project will be automatically created in Smartcat and you will be able to assign the tasks to translators just like you would for any other project:
You can track progress of the content that has been submitted for translation on the Translation Jobs tab. Once the translation is completed, the content will be returned and you will be able to edit the content in the editor to make formatting changes if needed. The translated content will be in draft and will need to be published to be visible in the website.
Displaying the translation
WPML provides a language switcher that can be displayed in different part of the website interface or as a menu or widget. There are many possible configuration options. More information can be found at this link.